Sanità di Frontiera goes ahead with the project in collaboration with ACTION FOR CHILDREN, a NGO which has implemented projects on the recovery, rehabilitation and resocialization of street children and adolescents in Kenya since 2004.
The project has the objective to recover the street children and adolescents in the Nairobi suburbs: over 400 young people living on the street and coming from vulnerable families who are often pushed into drug addiction due to poverty, diseases and abuse.
The project aims at:
- encouraging the recovery, rehabilitation and re-integration in family households or the host communities;
- fostering the development of the personal skills of the vulnerable youth at risk of drug addiction.
About 400 children and young people (6-22 years old) at risk of exploitation and abuse who live on the street, in the slums of Thika, the chief town of the Kiambu district (Nairobi suburbs).
- Providing assistance and recovering vulnerable young people by encouraging them to ease out of the street life.
- Encouraging rehabilitation, resocialization and reintegration of the youth in their contexts of origin (families and communities).
- Supporting training to young people through educational activities, sports and cultural events.
- Supporting the reintegration in family households, schools and vocational training of the youngsters.
- Research, evaluation and case-studies.